Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Peep the Yo!Pro Tumblr and check out some good music you might've missed!

Author Topic: Cosplay  (Read 16345 times)

Kimiko

• °F-oxy Lady
    • MSN Messenger - kimiko@dewdrop-garden.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kimiko+Hosono
    • View Profile
    • Hello! Myu
    • Email
Re: Cosplay
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 07:15:58 PM »
I have.. completed the Clow wand.. I'm sooo happy! My very first prop. It's not even close to perfect, as I never ever used model magic before, but man this was fun to make! I feel I can take on the world now! BWHAHHA :p

Here are some craptastic pics:

Graphics by Serenyty!

Serenyty

• I spend far too much time knitting for my own good
    • AOL Instant Messenger - writerserenyty
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 07:23:34 PM »
Cute!!!

Hopefully I'll be able to whip something up in a year. I'll have to learn how to sew, but I WILL. And I'll eventually be Dark Mercury, even if it is completely a forgotten series by the time I get to it.

Hopefully next year I can lolita, though. My friend says she might make me a dress, because she apparently thinks I'd look really good as a lolita.
\?????/            L????? Gucha~~

Sig by Gyp, Avatar.. from Livejournal, thanks whoever made it!

Soli

• Yomusu
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 07:37:46 PM »
Kimiko, wow!! I am seriously amazed. That looks great! ;D

(I LOVE YOU PRINNY)

Gypmama

• Jew-bulation
  • Yomusu
  • ~I'm a posse magnet~
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LdyAozora
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - GypMama
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 07:02:22 AM »
Hey, for a first-timer prop, I think it looks spiffy!

For those of you that work hard on costumes, I am curious to know if it annoys you when some people make half-assed costumes on purpose to get attention? I am talking about the guys who wear cardboard boxes and scrall 'GUNDAM' on the front in Sharpie marker or the people who follow every internet joke/fad/trend and toss together something with just the intention to get attention.

PUNS ARE AWESOME.
Recording:
Recorded and need to send:
Any re-do needed from sent files, please alert me.
Need any embarrassing weird shouts, whoops, and other bizarre background noises for a recording? ASK ME!

Song of Amazon

• Yomusu
  • Samosa Musume
    • MSN Messenger - hurricanepixie@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ariabreeze
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - songofamazon
    • View Profile
    • Tower of Time
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 08:35:23 PM »
Honestly, I'm pretty much fine with it as long as they're not doing it to make fun of other costumers.  I am incredibly firm in the idea that costuming is something that you should have fun doing, no matter what your level is.  If you want to make a joke of it, go ahead.  Just to make a joke of me or anyone else without asking first.  Everyone is at different levels, and someday maybe even the cardboard gundams will take their costuming to a new level.  You can only costume at the same level for so long without getting bored.

Need: Genkiness Redo (k), Melodies (Windy), White Love (Sydnii, Tomie, Tomo, Rebear, Dani), Shiroi Hana (Sydnii, Tomie, Tomo, Rebear, Dani)
Oweing: Yomusu, ZODIAC, NijiBEAT, 9Smiles, Pikappika...

Liana

• Wheelie Bin
  • Like Captain Picard I'm chillin' and flossin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 08:49:22 PM »
I don't make costumes, but I like this subject! I'm on the fence. I used to be really snarky about bad cosplay until I went to a convention with a girl who was unnecessarily bitchy about it. At one point she was seriously talking shit because "Their costumes are good, but their hair is ALL WRONG!" No one got compliments, and if there was the tiiiiniest thing wrong with an entire costume she'd point it out and be really condescending about it. I was basically appalled. It kind of opened my eyes to just how embarrassing elitism is at the end of the day.

So now, I don't really go looking at websites like cosplayfucks or anything. I understand it on one level, find it ridiculous on another. It's kind of a case by case. If the girl is putting no effort into their costume and expecting a lot of praise and support, I'll tear that bitch down- I have to stop myself from doing it here, where people will cry because they spent A WHOLE FOUR HOURS mixing. But if they're just doing it to hang out and have fun- which is how a lot of people treat karaoke here- then let 'em be bad cosplayers and enjoy!

Gypmama

• Jew-bulation
  • Yomusu
  • ~I'm a posse magnet~
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 06:43:12 AM »
I understand it on one level, find it ridiculous on another. It's kind of a case by case. If the girl is putting no effort into their costume and expecting a lot of praise and support, I'll tear that bitch down- I have to stop myself from doing it here, where people will cry because they spent A WHOLE FOUR HOURS mixing. But if they're just doing it to hang out and have fun- which is how a lot of people treat karaoke here- then let 'em be bad cosplayers and enjoy!
See, now, that makes sense.
There is that element of fun in the creation that people miss when all they see is the end product and there are the people who dress up for fun and don't care how inaccurate something is.
I think people who do stuff half-assed don't deserve full praise but I agree that holding one's tongue when someone else has worked countless hours on something that still looks horrible is a challenge. I thank the gods that I have had training in my design classes in which learning how to speak during a critique was a big thing. I always try to find something good to say because goodness knows us artsy types (visual and other kinds) are sensitive about our craft.

Normally, the cardboard Gundam guys annoy me because it DOES seem to mock those who work hard on their costumes.
I HAVE seen awesome costumes made from cardboard though (see: Chewboxxa - http://www.flickr.com/photos/41389818@N00/1335975989/ and cardboard Stormtroopers - http://www.drewprops.com/?p=219), so those Gundam guys have no excuse for saying they had lack of materials/money to get more creative.

PUNS ARE AWESOME.
Recording:
Need any embarrassing weird shouts, whoops, and other bizarre background noises for a recording? ASK ME!

Kimiko

• °F-oxy Lady
    • View Profile
    • Hello! Myu
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2009, 09:30:19 AM »
I don't like those cardboard gundam things, or anything like it. They get on my nerves, because it IS all about attention. If they painted it to kinda LOOK like a gundam, then at least they put some effort into it.

On the other side, there are those first time cosplayers that can't really sew and their costume looks like crap, but they TRIED. They didn't have anyone to help them, didn't have money to pay for a commission, they tried! And I respect that. Hey, I've been there!

What really pisses me off though, are those elitist cosplayers who can do no wrong and if they cosplay a character, they look down on others who are cosplaying the same character.  My friend cosplays as Sailormoon and she looks great as her, very convincing. There is another Sailormoon cosplayer, that was really mean and was making it out that SHE was sailormoon and no one else, and really tried to bully my friend out of cosplaying the character. I mean WTF? How lame and immature. And of course, my friend just ignored that chick, thank goodness.

Cosplay isn't (or well SHOULDN'T) be about something elitist and clique-y, but unfortunatley there are a lot of those cliques out there and it's really annoying.. There are some cosplay forums that demonstrate this fact although I won't say which ones :D. Cosplay is FUN and should remain that way! But really now, I do NOT want to see your ass, boobs or any other privy parts.

Graphics by Serenyty!

Liana

• Wheelie Bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2009, 09:33:21 AM »
What really pisses me off though, are those elitist cosplayers who can do no wrong and if they cosplay a character, they look down on others who are cosplaying the same character.  My friend cosplays as Sailormoon and she looks great as her, very convincing. There is another Sailormoon cosplayer, that was really mean and was making it out that SHE was sailormoon and no one else, and really tried to bully my friend out of cosplaying the character. I mean WTF? How lame and immature. And of course, my friend just ignored that chick, thank goodness.
OH MY GOD WAS IT USAGI KOU?

. . . Sorry I love crazy cosplayer gossip :D Some of them actually thrive off it, I feel no shame.

Kimiko

• °F-oxy Lady
    • View Profile
    • Hello! Myu
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2009, 09:35:58 AM »
You know what?? I THINK it was!! LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, this was a few years back and she came to the Cherry Blossom Festival out here, and I THINK that's when it was.. LOL Hiliarious!

Graphics by Serenyty!

Liana

• Wheelie Bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2009, 09:37:10 AM »
She's ALWAYS out trying to tell other Sailormoons to leave Usagi to her! I think she's since stopped, I don't know I don't pay attention anymore, but oh she was wonderful. Who needs Britney when you have cosplayers?

Kimiko

• °F-oxy Lady
    • View Profile
    • Hello! Myu
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »
Yeah I totally remember about her years back, but I just ignored/forgot all about her, until my friend told me what she was doing. LAME-O

Graphics by Serenyty!

Gypmama

• Jew-bulation
  • Yomusu
  • ~I'm a posse magnet~
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2009, 10:46:35 AM »
I just don't get why any cosplayer would claim a certain character as theirs to dress up as and no one else's. It reminds me of kids licking on things to claim that stuff as their own and no one else can take it because their saliva is now on it. It is not like they created the character (well, unless it was cosplay of an original character that they DID make, not ripped from some actual copyrighted character) and the amount of cosplayers + the popularity of any given character = the chances of one cosplayer making the costume of said character being very slim.
Why can't some cosplayers who see someone else dressed as the same character as them just bond in their love of that certain character instead of feeling threatened and throwing venom?

The attention whoring and diva attitudes of many cosplayers really give the whole thing a bad name, don't they?

PUNS ARE AWESOME.
Recording:

jko

• Yomusu
  • Eschew obfuscation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2009, 12:37:01 PM »
What really pisses me off though, are those elitist cosplayers who can do no wrong and if they cosplay a character, they look down on others who are cosplaying the same character. 
omg YES. XD One of my favorite Crazy Cosplayer stories (For a while i lived with this chick who took it WAY too seriously and pretty much left me sour on the hobby as a whole. XD) involves this chick who decided she was the ~only~ person allowed to be Sailor Galaxia. I don't even remember her name, but she was in Jamboree. So my then-roomie, being really handy and artsy and able to make her fingers create things I couldn't even ~imagine~, makes this Galaxia costume out of sheet metal, gets some praise for creativity, and a sort-of invitation to Jamboree. The Jamboree Galaxia lady FLIPS OUT and sends my then-roomie this catty email about how ~nobody else~ was allowed to be Galaxia and that if she wanted to play with the group, she was going to need to find another character.

God. Jamboree. So much crazy in such a small package. I think ~everyone~ involved in cosplay has their own Sailor Jamboree run-in story. Are they even still around?

Song of Amazon

• Yomusu
  • Samosa Musume
    • MSN Messenger - hurricanepixie@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ariabreeze
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - songofamazon
    • View Profile
    • Tower of Time
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2009, 06:30:24 PM »
I haven't heard anything of them in a while.  Though, I guess some drama was flying around in the myu cosplay groups.  I think there's about 5 flying around at the moment, and one group caught another group's members trash-talking a third group.  However, the rest of the groups, Salad Time included have agreed to a solidarity to squash that in any of their members that try that.  There will be no drama!  That was actually in the contract I signed with Salad Time way back when, I think.

See, I really enjoy obscure characters.  Half of it is that I like doing someone that no one, or very few people, has done before.  The other half, is I really love the reaction I get from people who do know the series that get really excited about my obscurity.  You can't be a photo diva when you do that.  I hardly get asked for pictures at all.  But when I want to get photographed, all I have to do is throw on a Sailor Mercury.  You have to have a way higher quality costume if it's obscure to get attention at cons.  You could be an awful Naruto, but all the Naruto fans would take your picture.  And then some.

Need: Genkiness Redo (k), Melodies (Windy), White Love (Sydnii, Tomie, Tomo, Rebear, Dani), Shiroi Hana (Sydnii, Tomie, Tomo, Rebear, Dani)
Oweing: Yomusu, ZODIAC, NijiBEAT, 9Smiles, Pikappika...

Enterprise © Bloc