Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Vote for the next YP collaboration project

Author Topic: The Great Y!P Downtime  (Read 6866 times)

jko

• Yomusu
  • Eschew obfuscation!
    • View Profile
The Great Y!P Downtime
« on: March 10, 2013, 10:32:01 PM »
SUP GUYS.

As you might have noticed, trying to log into Y!P was resulting in an error 500 message for the last week or so. This is the result of one of two potential problems:

1. We were attacked by an exploit in our version of SMF software that forced the software to overwork itself and crap its pants rather than delivering a result.
2. The forum reached a size that was breaking the server to try processing.

It could be one of those issues. It could have been both. If it was problem #1, then it should be gone for good since I upgraded the software to the most recent stable release. If it was the issue of forum size, that's trickier business considering how often web spiders try to access every post in one big swoop. If we run into this problem again, I may need to start archiving older threads or otherwise pruning them somehow. This is only a potential issue that will be handled only if necessary.

For now, I'm pretty sure Y!P is operating at full capacity again. Tell your friends it's back! Throw a party on skype and sing about it! Or. You know. Whatever it is you kids do around these parts nowadays.

I'll be back under my bridge until the next time something breaks. 8D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:18:02 PM by jko »

jko

• Yomusu
  • Eschew obfuscation!
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Y!P Downtime
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 06:21:26 PM »
Sep 28 note:

Board was stuck in Maintenance Mode with a setting that was keeping everyone out, admins included. Not sure what triggered the change, but it's fixed now.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:29:45 PM by jko »

Kira

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:38:30 AM »
This forum is like.... Dead

Princess Pudding

• Bazile Nylf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 11:38:39 PM »
This forum is like.... Dead
Sad right?!
Super Hero in Training  ☆彡Bazile Nylf彡☆

jko

• Yomusu
  • Eschew obfuscation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 06:59:46 PM »
THE DEADEST, but I'm nostalgic and refusing to let it die.

It was broken for two weeks after the server had a php upgrade. I finally sat down to fix it so now it works again.

LOVE YOU MISS YOU KISSES

EDIT: Okay so there's also a behind-the-scenes spambot disaster that's wreaking havoc on my email server as well. And since I actually need my email to NOT be auto-filtered as spam, I've just gone ahead and disabled new registration.

IF AT ANY POINT you guys want to get the band together and revive things / invite new people to make this forum a karaoke hub again, I am available via Twitter at @deathbywords. Pings and DMs there will go straight to my phone, so I can't miss them.

Basically, to solve the issue I'll need to update our outdated forum software, which is a silly amount of effort to put into a web ghost. All your existing accounts should still work, and posting is still totally enabled.

I'm sorry to slightly wreck stuff! Just give me a holler if you want it un-wrecked and I'll do it the right way.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:29:06 AM by jko »

Enterprise © Bloc