Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Vote for the next YP collaboration project

Author Topic: The "Glitchy" Effect  (Read 1912 times)

Ayuna

• Girl Club
    • View Profile
The "Glitchy" Effect
« on: November 13, 2012, 04:27:06 PM »
Okay, so a lot of Morning Musume's more recent songs have this glitchy effect (At the beginning of One-Two-Three, in places in Wakuteka Take a Chance, etc) and I've heard a lot of dubs with this effect and I was wondering if anyone could teach me how to make it, or something that sounds really similar? Is there a VST you can download to make it, or is there a certain effect in AA to use or something?

DC

• DC Time!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: The "Glitchy" Effect
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »
The only way I know how is manually, which doesn't really help your search much but it's the only way I've ever heard of people doing it.  Which is so time consuming but sounds so much better than trying to find some program to do it for you.  There is a way in Audacity to do glitching with the echo if the right presets are added, however, you'd probably rather do it manually.  Most of the glitching is not on a specific beat and Audacity will only give you one type of glitch.

.....|YouTube|Twitter.....
Did you vote yet?

Ayuna

• Girl Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 07:35:38 PM »
I might just need more practice doing it manually then because every time I try and do glitch type of effects manually, unless they're really basic, they always sound terrible and nothing like I'm aiming for haha XD
Thanks for the advice though! I didn't know you could make an effect similar with the Echo. I think I have to play with that now lol

DC

• DC Time!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »
In echo for audacity, if you make the delay time something really small (like .1) and make the delay factor bigger (like .9) you get a stutter.  If you play with numbers, you can get some really really basic nice stutters.  It's hard to get anything that you want to autotune over though like Morning Musume songs lol but it's good if you want some echoy sounding stutter.  I think I recall running over something at one point in Adobe Audition that can glitch stuff but I don't remember the preset and I doubt it is useful lol

.....|YouTube|Twitter.....
Did you vote yet?

Kapparin

• Girl Club
  • ( *?`)???????)?`)????
    • MSN Messenger - mikitty.nyannyan@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nephikichichan
    • View Profile
    • Hana Project
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 02:10:41 PM »
Yep, I just do it manually. I like the sound and precision of it better done manually than anything that I've seen people do w/ plugins, but I'm kinda a o_< perfectionist about timing. Basically, what I did for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXy1wQmR4eU (HPD's One Two Three) is bring in the vocal rip alongside Mizuki's raw wowow's in Audacity and line them up. I zoomed in REAAAAAAAAL close (like x5 or x6) and started making cuts in Mizuki's vocals where I saw them visually in the vocal rip. It was time-consuming, but I also was listening over and over and making sure it was right and getting a little anal retentive about it.

For the rest of the effect on those parts, I did the panning for parts that were panned, then for the wind-up/wind-down effects, used Audacity's Sliding Time Scale/Pitch Shift (it's in the newest version), set it as high as it could go, and then used it on segments of the vocals where there were wind-downs. Twice. It only goes to like -12 so doing it twice made it -24.

All in all it was really simple (especially considering I never use Audacity for effects), it's just gonna require you to commit several hours possibly.

Ayuna

• Girl Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 03:08:30 PM »
Thank you SO much, Kappa! I really appreciate this! :D

Kapparin

• Girl Club
  • ( *?`)???????)?`)????
    • MSN Messenger - mikitty.nyannyan@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nephikichichan
    • View Profile
    • Hana Project
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 03:12:45 PM »
No problem, hope it helps you <3

WillRubert

• Britney Spears is like my Jesus xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 11:30:10 PM »
I just do it manually as well. If there is an acapella available, it's easier to zoom in on the waveform and it makes doing it correctly much easier.
<3 2NE1 <3

Enterprise © Bloc