Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Vote for the July Yoricon today!

Author Topic: How did Your Dub Name Came to be?  (Read 11811 times)

BakaPai

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
    • Email
How did Your Dub Name Came to be?
« on: February 28, 2009, 04:40:07 AM »
I'm curious as to why people have certain names, though obvious some are basically their true names.

For me.. I honestly can't remember.. but I'm going to say it was;

I'm in Idiot... and I love Pie..

Well.. Idiot sounds too harsh.. so Baka. (since I always thought that was a cute insult in japanese), and though I love Pie... I thought Pai was much cuter.

Therefore, BakaPai.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:19:50 AM by BakaPai »
always thirsty for subscribers ngl.
? Why don't you head on over to my channel

jko

• Yomusu
  • Eschew obfuscation!
    • View Profile
Re: How did Your Dub Name Became to be?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:44:40 AM »
Fun thing with languages: In Spanish, "vaca" (pronounced the came as "baka") means "cow". That's always been hilarious to me since it gets used so often in Japanese-stuff fandom, but it also means every time I see your username I think of Cowpies and it's much funnier this way. xD

Aura

• auracake.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Email
Re: How did Your Dub Name Came to be?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 05:53:46 AM »
I usually use Aurora/Aura on YT and stuff but I found a name I like better(antoinette) so I used that here =D Feel free to call me any of those -shot- A
Aurora came from the Disney Sleeping Beauty and Antoinette came to me when I watched Marie Antoinette xD.
My real name sucks. It's Hedy. But my friends call me dee/dees or fish. I have a chinese name too but I doubt anyone would want to call me by that xD 

Molly? ?

• Girl Club
  • I'm innocent and cute, fuck you!
    • View Profile
    • :]
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 08:12:45 AM »
I use my real name more now, but my stage name is Sakunai Akemi.
Random combination that I through together when a project asked for a Japanese name.

It amuses me that my MSN name say Molly x3 but certain people still call me ake-chan

Jen ?

• Self proclaimed Sayumiphile and Renaphile <3
    • MSN Messenger - jrperson15@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - takaritsubaki
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 08:47:18 AM »
Hey! I call you Mow-Mow occasionly xD

People call me either Jen or JenJen but my Stage Name is Mjiatai Naoka. But People call me Nao-chan sincei it's eaiser. SO I use it here.

Like Molly, On MSN my name says '?JenJen?' but people call me either Nao, Nao-chan, or Naoka. xDD

It makes me giggle everytime.

peachgirldb

• AOL Instant Messenger - sevvyandhermy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:48:47 AM »
peachgirl from the Peach Girl manga, and DB from an old Sailor Moon RP villain I used to have.  :D

Mixing:
Minna no Tamago
I owe:
OOXX, KA RA KU RI, 321 Breakin Out, Shouganai, iDream, NA GA RA, Did I forget and owe you something else? PM me!

Liana

• Wheelie Bin
  • Like Captain Picard I'm chillin' and flossin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 09:42:14 AM »
It's my real name :D I have a pretty pretty princess name, you're jealous. Actually it's surprisingly difficult for people and I struggle EVERY. DAY. My favorite is going to Panera, where they ask your name and then sometimes don't ask me how to spell it. When I have more money I'm going to make it a point to go there and just collect all the weird shit they come up with. Once even my Starbucks in the Target I work at where I have a NAME BADGE ON spelled my name Leanna :( I was so sad. It's not even pronounced like that!

Liza

• All my friends are beetles and centipedes~
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »
I would've went with my real name (Liza, if you're wondering), but in my first official project thing,  most of the other girls had Japanese dub names, so I didn't want to be odd.    I picked Yumiko randomly-  it's not even my favorite Japanese name or anything; there were just a lot of R and A names and it was already confusing.   XD  It's the name I associate my dubbing stuff with now though, so I keep it for sentimental reasons.  ^^

kibats

• Adam West's Petting Zoo
  • Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 10:29:02 AM »
My real name. Which my boss, of over two years, cannot spell to this day. I will not wear that nametag, damnit. Especially since creepy customers LOVE learning your name and using it and remarking when you don't wear your badge like it's a psychological issue.

I got tired of net names xD
LINES I need:
Joel: NYN, Farrah: MUYM
Lines I owe: YOMUSU (I forgot! Not forever!)

Tsubasa

• MSN Messenger - tsubasa_karekano@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 01:50:33 PM »
My nickname comes from a character in the manga Karekano (Kareshi kanojo no jijou.) I didn't pick it, my friends did. I was against it because there is an anime called Captian Tsubasa (Tsubasa is a guy who plays soccer), but they used it so much that I got used to it.
My real name is Catherine, so common in the US ;_;
Tsubasa, tsubasa_karekano, and some variations of that is what I always use online =)

Kimiko

• °F-oxy Lady
    • MSN Messenger - kimiko@dewdrop-garden.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kimiko+Hosono
    • View Profile
    • Hello! Myu
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 02:17:19 PM »
Kimiko.... is my middle name! Yes I am half Japanese (for those who didn't know) and it just fits with everything I do online, so it's what I've always used.

Graphics by Serenyty!

Gidget

• ICE CREAM!
  • I need a Pepper
    • AOL Instant Messenger - applebyarrow
    • View Profile
    • SHEawase
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 03:25:40 PM »
My real name is boring (Tara) and there is no way to get a good nickname from it.  My mother had a really beautiful name but it had about a million nicknames from it and she hated nicknames and refused to name me or my brother anything that would allow nicknames.  If I called my brother "Blakey" or any other nickname I came up with, I got grounded as a kid.   ::) 

However, in high school, nicknames were the thing.  True, Polly, and Gidget were the ones I got called the most.  I've used both True and Gidget online a lot, and Gidget is used most of the time in real life too.  Gidget was because I reminded everyone of the girl in the Gidget movies - I was tiny, majorly naive, made up words, overly excited about silly stuff.  LOL I loved the movies myself when I was little and so it really made my day when they came up with that one.    I'm introduced to others as Gidge by some people, and I have whole groups of friends in other states that only know me as Gidge due to one of my best friends there only calling me that.  I'm in a few other groups that wanted Japanese names.  One calls me Mirei but the leader came up with it.  The other calls me Mira but it had something to do with me being added when auditions were closed and being my own Gen there. 

I think it's funny that I love nicknames so much because my real name never gave me the chance to have one, while my mother hates them so much because she's always had to answer to so many. 
- Also known as SHEawase now.. LOL
Icon by Gyp! <3

jko

• Yomusu
  • Eschew obfuscation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 03:56:09 PM »
My great-aunt's nickname is Gidget! This has caused me endless amusement in the last few months our Gidget has been around.

My nickname is actually from other people. XD I used to use "Jessie" online all the time because I never saw the purpose of online nicknames (though I will POKE YOU IN THE EYE if I'm called Jessie offline. I like the way it looks, but hate the way it sounds. I'm a girl and we be's crazy what.). But then I had this group of friends who wanted to call me by my AIM screenname at the time, which was a Digimon character. I was like "ahahaha no" and they REFUSED to call me by my actual name because it took too long and wasn't cute enough. So they wanted to call me "J-chan" and I loathe that with nicknames and vetoed that too. xD J-pi was out for similar reasons, and finally they were like "Well you shall be Jko and THAT IS FINAL" and I learned to live with it. xD

suu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 04:29:40 PM »
Suu came from Suzune, which was a character I made up when I was 10. :D I was such a creative child. My friends used to call me Suzu because of that name originally, but they eventually shortened it to Suu, which I love because it's so much easier to say and remember. My real name is Nat??lia, totally unrelated though.

It's my real name :D I have a pretty pretty princess name, you're jealous.

I am! I find your name gorgeous! Not sure how you spell it in english but I spell everything in portuguese anyway and it's sounds so pretty. :D I also love Kristi's name. <3

My nickname comes from a character in the manga Karekano (Kareshi kanojo no jijou.) I didn't pick it, my friends did.

I really like KareKano! And Tsubasa is actually my favorite character from the series. We should do a song from the anime together one of these days. XD
Trying to finish the mixing pile and managing life. Sorry for making you all wait so much. T_T

DJ_MaiMai

• MSN Messenger - pompelmo13@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Japtalian0894
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 05:22:29 PM »
I use 2 names, just depends on whatever mood I'm in when I sign up for a site xDDD

DJ_MaiMai, because I used to really like Maimai of C-ute, and she did that DJ skit, and I liked it. And so I started calling myself DJ_MaiMai and I thought it was just SO original ^^; Until I met another girl who went by DJ Maimai (no underscore and no second capital M. REMEMBER THAT NOW)

I also go by Japtalian. Its a long story. But I'll tell it :P
So, I'm Italian. And one day my uncle married this Japanese lady. And so you know, it was exciting, meeting my new aunt and all. So I told my friend, who really isn't that bright, that my uncle just married a Japanese lady and now I have a Japanese aunt (keep in mind this was around that time that I was a little weeaboo)
So she's like "Woah I didn't know you were Japanese!" and umm... *facepalm*
So I told her I was Italian, and she made up the nickname Japtalian. To this day she still uses it. My contact on her phone reads Japtalian and my birthday cards since I was 12 say Japtalian.
She claims it sounds like a secret agent name.

Enterprise © Bloc