Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Vote for the July Yoricon today!

Author Topic: Supply love - what you got, where you got it, how to save on supplies  (Read 1089 times)

kibats

• Adam West's Petting Zoo
  • Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
Talk about what you got / how you liked it. And where's your favorite place to shop? Know any great sales, or online free shipping code? Coupons?

I LOVE Hobby Lobby and Michaels - becaaaaussseee of the mobile 40% coupons. Lusting after a $40 marker set or $30 watercolor field kit? Need pads or a whole range of graphite for Drawing 1? Coupons, and working the sale ads, can make supplies SO MUCH more attainable. Support your local hole in the wall shop, if you're lucky enough to have one, but know how to make big box stores work for you if you don't.
LINES I need:
Joel: NYN, Farrah: MUYM
Lines I owe: YOMUSU (I forgot! Not forever!)

kibats

• Adam West's Petting Zoo
  • Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
Re: Supply love - what you got, where you got it, how to save on supplies
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 10:31:50 AM »
I wrote an ode to Copics, how I've avoided them. How I dislike streaky marker looks (though marker is great fun for quick thumbnail splashes of color / palette drafts). But I lost it. Long story short, I got a gift card, and decided after seeing some well done and vibrant illustrations that I'd give them a try. Oh, oh, oh. You can make pretty, translucent skin tones to rival any water color portrait and or manga artist. Oh, oh oh. Look up techniques. Don't get these if you just want to doodle every now and then. They aren't cheap. But for intermediate and advanced illustration drafts, if you have money set aside for supplies and can work the sales - do it. I think I will love them. Really nice product.

Alcohol ink won't smudge. You can blend into another shade, rather like pastel, without ruining the marker. You can replace ink. You can use the colorless blender to pick up pigment and spread it. You can touch the tip of another color to blend on the fly, if they're somewhat similar. Great tools.

40% coupon, on $39 sets. Plus employee discount. Much more attainable!

Lovely, lovely shades. I love the creamy, coral touched red and the bright yellows and blues.

Good secondary palette, some nice soft greens and violets.

Michaels, buy one get one half off Copic sale (this weekend):

Good whitey flesh palette, from what was available. Need E00 for a better range. This are so much darker than you would think, but they blend neatly with rosy pinks. My pink from the perfect primary is too deep for light blushes or anything but it demonstrated versatility. Later I'll get the skin tone pack...which has E11, but not E02. Gotta represent the tans and the chocolates, eventually. Doin what I know. Pale pale pale pale pale pale. These are too dark, but I'll just have to use the colorless and leave sections of paper and drag pigment. Hmn.

Next week, my coupon and a prayer will get me the regular primary colors. They were all out :c And once I get that black in my hands, I know I'll actually need deep grays to render sections of black and not just deepest shadow smudges. IT NEVER ENDS.

Other stuff:

Michaels 40% coupon:

So, wannabe animators and illustrators: Remember how many drafts are done in a pretty blue? Non-photo blue. That's not these. I learned that term, later. These are just THE SAME GRADES OF GRAPHITE PENCILS YOU ALREADY OWN, GUYS. DAMMIT ALL. They seem to do well, though, you can always use more pencils. I prefer Kimberly's usually, the green pencils by General. Smoother than Faber Castell, still cheap, hold up well in box and don't often break. Cheap enough to get on with, erases well with a soap or mars eraser. But w/e.

NON-PHOTO BLUE PENCILS ARE THE ONES YOU WANT, COL-ERASE by PRISMACOLOR. Hoping I can find a few loose ones to try today.

Also got a pad of Bristol for marker work, should have gotten a marker pro sheet but this was 40% off. $5 pad of 9x12? Hell yea.

If I ever am unlazy, I'll share my super cheap (coupon/sale) grab of a watercolor kit and 3 brushes. Save save save. I've used the HELL out of that kit.

All my preaching about FOR CLASS drafting work...and all I've done is draw a naked chick holding a dragon plushie. Don't do as I do. Now I need multi-liners in black and sepia, opaque white, the colorless blender, more skin tones, and 90 more pastel THEY LOOK THE SAME BUT YOU KNOW THEY AREN'T markers. And then I'll get more organizers and paint the walls more homey. And then I'll make a cave. And roll around in pigment and color myself all over with markers. And never leave the house again.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:36:53 AM by kibats »
LINES I need:
Joel: NYN, Farrah: MUYM
Lines I owe: YOMUSU (I forgot! Not forever!)

Enterprise © Bloc