Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Vote for the July Yoricon today!

Author Topic: Okay, I love you, bye bye!  (Read 2152 times)

Liana

• Wheelie Bin
  • Like Captain Picard I'm chillin' and flossin'
    • View Profile
Okay, I love you, bye bye!
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:54:58 PM »
I used to always joke that I wasn't old until Ai Takahashi, who is 48 hours older than me, graduated Morning Musume. Well, here we are.

This has been a year in the making and breaks my heart but ultimately, it's something that has to happen. I'm letting Y!P go. That's not to say it's ending, just that the last founder is waving goodbye sadly at the train station and watching it go forward.

There are a lot of reasons as to why- honestly my last ditch effort to justify Y!P to myself was creating the Yoricon, which was supposed to bring the community together as a whole to elevate really technically great dubs, but while we as a team kept making up new ways to get people to vote and make it easier, the numbers of actual votes NEVER went up. Not going to lie to you all, that hurts me on a personal level and the fact that a silly karaoke thing upsets me that much is just a huge symptom of what's wrong. But mostly? Y!P and karaoke are, to me, empty productivity calories. It keeps me busy and makes me think like I'm accomplishing something but I'm not, really.

Now, that's not to belittle Y!P or karaoke as a whole whatsoever. I've learned SO MUCH running Y!P, things that have helped me in my real life. I've gotten more confidence from Y!P than I have doing anything else and it taught me how to really work with people. It taught me how to open my mind to all sorts of mindsets and thought processes people have and how to be patient when they don't vibe with my own. They taught me how to take criticism, how to know that people have problems with me and how to walk it off and not care. Considering my ultimate career goals lie in what is essentially a large scale, high risk version of the dubbing world (television/movie industry) these lessons have been absolutely INVALUABLE to me. I have no regrets for any of the hours I've poured into this place, especially since, because of it, I've met some of my closest and most important friends- and I've seen other friendships blossom and grow that wouldn't have without this forum.

However, those lessons have been learned and to continue on with Y!P and dubbing as heavily as I have been is now just a way to do something vaguely creative and get immediate feedback on it. Mixing is easy for me and people generally enjoy the finished product, so it moves me forward. Mixing is the first thing I POURED effort into and got really great at BECAUSE of the feedback I received. Now, I need to take the ambition I learned from dubbing and apply it to real life endeavors.

I'm still going to be around on the forums, but I'll only be concentrating on the few groups I have- and the members OF those groups know just how slow and laid back I've become over the past year. I'm taking a hiatus from Skype again to focus on my own projects. I won't do the weekly karaoke chat anymore.

I'll miss working on Y!P. Please, talk to DC and Amanda about giving a hand, they'll need it! It's up to them to figure out what projects to keep, what to let go of, what to expand on and what to do with the forum's future. I wish them the best of luck and hope I can keep coming to Y!P for years and years and years and it continues past me and all of us :D

TeruTeruBuggy

• It's officially bubble time
    • MSN Messenger - kinsenka@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ShockingBuggy
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, I love you, bye bye!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:47:07 PM »
I know you've been talking about this for a long time, but it's still hard to see it actually happen.  I'll probably see you around online and what not and of course when you finally wonder out to CA so it's probably weird for me to say this, but good luck with your rl endeavors!  You'll be missed here.

Still BUGGY, but more shiny now.

Kotone

• L-O-V-E RABURII BANANA! *que retard hand motion*
    • MSN Messenger - cio_94@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 04:29:22 PM »
It's sad to know that you're leaving but it's inevitable.

I actually kind of feel like those who post dubs but don't critique at all are taking advantage of the Yoproject system. But this isn't the time for that

I hope to see you around, Liana. <3

Gino

• Radio Team
  • Rianasu's Fan Service King
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 06:31:48 PM »
I just saw this right now... :( Joining Y!P back in 2008 and being a part of this community was great because of the way you made an effort to know us even if it's just over the internet. You took me under your wing and made sure I grew up not to be one of those asshole diva dubbers. XD

I know I'll still be talking to you, but good luck with your goals and dreams, gurl. You got it.

SEE YOU WHEN YOU REACH CALI-GUMI!!! :D
Ok so, It's Gino: My Vlogs and Other Random Crap

The boy formerly known as Koolmon.
Formerly known as Rianasu's Washed Up Maknae.

Song of Amazon

• Yomusu
  • Samosa Musume
    • MSN Messenger - hurricanepixie@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ariabreeze
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - songofamazon
    • View Profile
    • Tower of Time
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 06:55:45 PM »
As one who has been along for the ride with you almost since day 1 of Y!P (month one, at the very least) and more or less riding life's waves at the same pace, I know where you're coming from.  I hit the same 'I'm almost 25 and I'm still doing this!?' wall this summer in all of my online fandoms too.

Know that you started something awesome that a lot of people, myself included, enjoyed at one point or another and still will continue to enjoy.

I look forward to seeing you out here in California!

Dreams, let's pursue them!

Need: Genkiness Redo (k), Melodies (Windy), White Love (Sydnii, Tomie, Tomo, Rebear, Dani), Shiroi Hana (Sydnii, Tomie, Tomo, Rebear, Dani)
Oweing: Yomusu, ZODIAC, NijiBEAT, 9Smiles, Pikappika...

Tomie

• ZDIAC
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 11:17:25 PM »
Gosh, there already seems to be a Liana-shaped hole here.  You'll be missed loads, girl. 

It's terrible when something that's supposed to be a fun hobby ends up being a chore.  I was in a similar position and took a 5 year hiatus from dubbing.  I too wondered why I was putting effort into it when I should be putting effort into my real life.  Eventually though, real life became the chore and online karaoke/dubbing became the escape again.  So what I'm getting at is that this CAN become fun and worthwhile again.  Experience speaking here. ^_~   

Give me a ring sometime if you've still got my number XXD

kibats

• Adam West's Petting Zoo
  • Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 06:44:32 AM »
You've been trying to pull away for a while, but starting new things...kudos to you for stepping back and prioritizing. If you're forcing something and it's not making you happy, it's not really the right way to be.

Best of luck, though...pretty sure I'll still be seeing you around occasionally in a more passive role.
LINES I need:
Joel: NYN, Farrah: MUYM
Lines I owe: YOMUSU (I forgot! Not forever!)

Enterprise © Bloc