Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Peep the Yo!Pro Tumblr and check out some good music you might've missed!

Author Topic: College: How do I make this happen and should I even bother.  (Read 3056 times)

Liana

• Wheelie Bin
  • Like Captain Picard I'm chillin' and flossin'
    • View Profile
College: How do I make this happen and should I even bother.
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:03:22 PM »
Everyone knows I'm against pushing college onto kids. It's NOT the right choice for everyone- it wasn't for me, for sure. It was a few of the WORST years of my life. I did it because I had no direction though and if you're not going to college, you BETTER have a goal or something you're working towards or else you'll just be a lonely internet addict working at Target and in 10 years you are NOT going to be at all happy with yourself. If you're not feeling college, do beauty school! Write a novel! Volunteer! Get SUPER into your job and climb the ladders within it! Recently I was looking up ways to teach in Asia without a degree and it's SUPER doable! Maybe you won't go to the Promised Lands like Japan or Korea but if you're honestly into culture and Asia, teaching anywhere would be a treat and if that ISN'T appealing to you, find another goal because getting closer to your fandom isn't going to fulfill you. Or maybe it will. SOMETHING. Have a goal people. Have. A. Goal.

Now.

I did go to college and got my AS degree. My parents have zero money and were NO help when I was trying to figure out the logistics of . . . HOW to go. I would ask them just to tag along while I talked to people and half the time I couldn't even get them to do that XD I have loving, supportive, amazing, but ultimately irresponsible parents. I ended up going to community college and filling out FAFSA and forging my own way. Because I am a fuck up (well, and I also took it very slow after the first two years because I just ran out of classes I could take for my major, that's a story for another day) it took me 5 years to get my associates.

If anyone is like me with irresponsible parents and wants help getting started in Life, come here and I or someone else will share our stories and give you our advice and link you to the correct websites. Or if you're on the college fence and just want to have a really indepth talk about it with people who aren't your parents going "GO TO COLLEGE EVEN IF IT MIGHT NOT BE FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE ANYMORE AND MIGHT NOT BE EVER AGAIN, RIP MIDDLE CLASS." Unless you don't live in the USA. Anyway, hugs!

Sarah

• I was "Sera". Now I'm "Sarah". Yes.
    • MSN Messenger - saraht0ga@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - saraht0ga
    • View Profile
    • My YT channel
    • Email
Re: College: How do I make this happen and should I even bother.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 02:18:26 PM »
If you know what type of college you want to go to, what you might want to major in, what you're willing to pay, etc... You can use collegeboard.org to search colleges.

For example, if you want to go to a small public college in your state that has Psychology as a major... there are filters you can apply that will only show those sorts of colleges.

Hopefully that might be helpful to someone who wants to go but doesn't know where >>

Kotone

• L-O-V-E RABURII BANANA! *que retard hand motion*
    • MSN Messenger - cio_94@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 05:35:53 PM »
IT's different in Australia. Or at least in the state I live in. First year of college is compulsory. I think it's the equivelent of Senior High school in America. so my advice is...

SEND YOUR KIDS TO COLLEGE IF YOU LIVE IN AUSTRALIA UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE ARRESTED, FINED, WHATEVERE ELSE.

xD

kibats

• Adam West's Petting Zoo
  • Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 02:16:51 AM »
I'm gonna evaluate on this with my burgeoning horror story.

Do your best to attend a local college. Don't overlook community for your geneds.

Don't get a private loan to go to a nice school. Or a state school. We didn't know how to pay for college. Dad had me get a big private loan and used some of it. Within a few years, TONS back in interest because we didn't really use a reputable source and hadn't realized it.

I went to multiple smaller or state schools and community college, community due to our low income I actually got a free ride. But when I went to uni to continue, it would be extra years to get the degree I wanted due to dates. So I attended school online.

I like online school, but it's SO high cost. Some people say they get nothing out of it. My artistic skills in the past 2.5 years have expanded SO MUCH, and I really have had more input than I had ever had from teachers (barring 1-2 above and beyond profs in a brick and mortar). But it's so much more expensive.

So. If you CAN. Live at school. Even if it's an hour away. Take every aid opportunity you can. Unsubsidized. Don't try to have a career through college - work a small job for your expenses. I tried to build my resume, too. I tried to take a year off and work. None of this helped me. Still working retail and flipping out about future bills.

So get in, and get it done if you want a career that needs college. Talk to every advisor you can. Never get into a loan sitch where you're pressured to find a place to keep taking classes so you don't have to pay things back.

I do love college, though, and support higher education. It USED to be that you couldn't work your way up any more - you needed a degree. The way things are now, though, you get a degree and have 2 years experience and you still make what people make stocking shelves (in my area, anyway, given my job offers and search results). So there's no tight and fast option or advice. If you don't know what you want and there's not a cheap option near you, don't do anything until you're sure. If you have ideas and have aid available, try a community and start taking classes. Not every job needs a degree. But there are some that still need training, no matter who you know. Depends on what you want to do.
LINES I need:
Joel: NYN, Farrah: MUYM
Lines I owe: YOMUSU (I forgot! Not forever!)

Hikki-chii

• myungasms
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 07:38:18 AM »
I thought the title was
College: How do I make friends
(Because the end was cut off)
And I was so eager. LOL
SOMEONE TEACH ME HOW TO MAKE FRIENDS IN UNIVERSITY Q.Q
I find it amazing that I found a dubber in my first year of university for a dying fandom like H!P
and in my second year, where I'm totally into kpop (which I assume is much MUCH bigger than H!P), and I can't find ANYONE that likes it. ;A;

Sorry, it's way off topic.
BUT YES.
HAVE A GOAL IN LIFE.
;A;
And friends. *cries*
YouTube Channel: Click me!

Gino

• Radio Team
  • Rianasu's Fan Service King
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
Trust me. I was having THE HARDEST time finding friends here in college, but pretty soon, I just joined clubs, found people with similar interests, and am having a grand old time. I feel like they key to finding friends is stepping out of your comfort zone also and making an effort into putting yourself out there. I was very, very shy in the beginning, but where I'm from, the people are so welcoming and you just have to just take a risk sometimes and you'll see that sometimes you don't even need have friends that you can share interests in common with but sometimes just your personalities match. My friends and I always say how bitchy well... because it's true. LOL We're quite bitchy. If you're bitchy, MORE POWER TO YOU! LOL Find other bitches. :D You got this gurl!
Ok so, It's Gino: My Vlogs and Other Random Crap

The boy formerly known as Koolmon.
Formerly known as Rianasu's Washed Up Maknae.

Liana

• Wheelie Bin
  • Like Captain Picard I'm chillin' and flossin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 01:02:56 PM »
^ True that. Join some shit! I never did and I never made friends in college- BUT I had a job and that's where all my friendships come from. Kind of the same? A situation that FORCES socialiteness. Classes you get in and get out. Also Gino's post made me realize I literally have NOTHING in common with the person I hang out the most with XD Like . . . nothing. I'm a homebody wannabe writer who doesn't leave her apartment for months and he's an adorable tiny happy socialite. Oh, we both like Mad Men, but our conversations about it are like me rambling about symbolism and story structure and him talking about how he wants to dress like Don Draper every day or how mad he is the painted door outside the Draper household is too modern a style for 1960s and how terrible that is. But we have similar senses of humor (literally everywhere we go we find someone listening into our conversations and smiling 'cause of how we are hilarious). That's all you need, end of the day! You have online to talk about your hobbies and interests, offline is for going to Good Will and turning on all the grotesque and cheesy music boxes at once and giggling at ages 25 and 27.

stardusties

• Boys & Girls
  • Ruby =^___^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 08:06:37 PM »
~Friends and fun~

I was fortunate enough to live on one of two floor where all the engineering girls lived. Sooo all our doors were always open cuz we'd bustle in an out to get hw help and so we were mostly really close yay!

Afterwards I just tried being friends with at least my neighbors next door :) it kinda werked out hahaha. Joining clubs make you good friends too <3.

Joining choirs, you're suuuure to first LOTS of people you have stuff in comon with. I joined an indian bhangra team my last year and it was sooo fun <3 we'd have lotsa fun laughing about ridic dance moves we had to do. It was also "safer" than choir because you can always get better at a dance move over night.....improving singing dramatically overnight is a diff story as we all know :D

i dont remmber how else i made friends.....i liked to stay indoors and sleep and play wow so idk.

humans vs zombies and quidditch. fun. ass. shit.  and you make friends even tho they're fast paced things. you also learn your campus REALLY...REALLLY well after playing a week of HvZ <3

---------------o
~Picking a College~
If you don't know what you wanna do yet, community college is perrrrfect. My aunt/cousins mistake was thinking "well if he gets a degree at a private school then he'll get a job even tho he doesn't know what to do". LOL. WOW NO BITCH YOU'RE WRONGMWHO TOLD YOU THIS. and so she paid like...20k per semester for 2 years...and he doesn't even want to go to school or know what to do...and I told her "wow no, where you go doesn't matter unless you wanna get into a specific grad school" and she was really salty.

/endrant. my family is dumb.
---------------o
~Paying for stupid College~
My mom is also dumb. It's not her fault, none of the ppl in my family went to real american college so information about how to PAY for it wasn't well known.

For my college we took out loans from
Sallie Mae (they're okay, interest doesn't build until after graduation but the interest rate is higher than Federal Loans)
Chase Bank (worst idea my mom ever had. I ended up spending 30% in interest because it was gathering interest since my sophomore year. That stupid loan is paid off now.)
Federal Loans (These are nice loans that don't rape me in interest....well some)
and then loans from my college (lowest interest rate of all of my loans in my case. They're like 4%).

I also received lots of grants/scholarships to the point where my last year of school, i was getting PAID to go there :D...sadly that extra money went into my living costs. 

If you are having problems paying for college for one of your semester, TALK to your college's financial aid department people. They WILL get you extra money to take our for loans. Idk if it'll be enough, but it's a plan.

That being said.....it also depends on if your career/dream is worth taking out all this money in loans if you are not currenly able to pay for it / are receiving loans and grants. Most people are sticking to their 10-15 year loan pay off plan from what I've seen from my friends.  I myself am super salty about interest and am throwing all my extra money into paying off my stupid loans...WHICH ALL GET OFF OF GRACE PERIOD NEXT MONTH ROOOAR (that means they start collecting interest and i actually have to start paying them off).

-----------------------------------o
Quote from: Liana
Obviously my main dream is to smell SNSD.

~Groups~
Trike's Angels
Snowy Whispers
??????

~Ppl I owe Lines~
MegumiNakazawa -HS Weddinguu~, Heya to T shirts , Arigz otomodachi
trike. ugh. -dies-
Rin - SW single #2

Kapparin

• Girl Club
  • ( *?`)???????)?`)????
    • MSN Messenger - mikitty.nyannyan@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nephikichichan
    • View Profile
    • Hana Project
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 04:53:33 AM »
Student loans through the government are going to get better though since Obama passed his new initiative! Just in time for me, who is like Ruby also coming off of grace period (one private loan due this month for the first time, the three federal loans due next month). There's a fun bit where if your private lender agrees, starting in January 2012 you can consolidate your private loans with your federal loans and get a sweet interest rate. And also something that could be VERY COOL if I end up continuing to teach for 10 years (whether abroad or back home) that says that if you are a teacher or other public servant, after 10 years of payment your difference is automatically forgiven.

Tbh, I could stick with teaching that long just to reap those benefits. Right now I'm on a 10 year track, but will be switching it to a 15 year track once we see about the consolidation thing in January. Unfortunately, teaching in Japan doesn't really do me enough to have to send home $400 every month in loan payments, RIP!

Moral of the story: Loans suck, but Obama is pretty chill.

Raina

• My lovely A.Y.U.M.I. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 04:23:25 AM »
I wish I was from the USA :( I am from Bulgaria ~~ that is in the middle of nowhere somewhere in Europe ... I am 100% sure I don't want to study here.When I was young I wanted to study in US but your collages are damn expensive LIKE 20000$ + a year thats crazy @.@ So now I am getting ready for some english exams that I need to get to  in collage eather in Korea or UK ~~ TOEFL,CAE and SAT ( I don't even now why I need it since our mature exam has math much harder then on sat and about the english part - the same as in CAE and TOEFL.But the math on sat is pretty easy.Ive seen some exams online and I had the same on my 7grade entrance to another school exam ~~we have 12 grades).I really don't know how you guys pay the fees in the US collages ~.~ .I looked up some UK collages that I might want to join with  any kinda of design ( I am good with both drawing ,computer programs and thank god I am a creative person) but my main goal is Yonsei  in Korea.Non koreans get in Yonsei easier then koreans ( lol thats weird right) . The fees there are also a lot but its around 60000$ for all the years and if you join clubs or get good marks you can get a scholarship.My family is pretty poor and on top of that they dont know english at all so I am kinda used to looking at collages and documents on my own as well as the ways how to get a student loan.
Well I just wanted to share my story x3 You know!People don't think I am smart ( more like I look average in their eyes) but I know I can do a lot if I put my heart into it.For example until 7 grade even though I studied English at school I didnt know anything exept how to ask the teacher to go to the toilet (lol xD ) and in one summer break I learned all the english that I missed and took an english exam and got B ( Muhahaha) . I really hate when someone says teach me some program or when my mother says teach me how to work on the computer because I started using a computer on my own.When I was 6 years old nobody had computers at home ( that would be 2000 ) so whoever used computers was eather because of work or they play games and stuff in computer clubs.I am the second ( and I was the younges and only girl and I crushed all the guys on games like CS and car games xD ) and I leaned everything that I know on my own.Using photoshop,sony vegas,audition,HTML might not be a lot for some kids my age but most kids here(like 95%) have never used any video editing program exept WMM o.o When we have computer class and everyone is playing games and stuff and they dont know anything and I am like 'this is easy - just try damn it - why ask the teacher for every single thing '. I am not trying to be full of myself as I usually am pretty friendly but that just gets me really angry..... And I think I should stop writing because now that I see it I wrote too much xD

LOL well thats just me ~I talk a lot. My classmate  said that I talk even when I have nothing to say xD

Beckie

• HUR
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 08:58:01 AM »

Raina

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 10:44:11 AM »
@Beckie Oh good I have changed my opinion on what I want to do so many times there was a time I wanted to do mangas,other I wanted to be a novelist BUT I have stories and I cant write )x I wanted to be a teacher eather math or english and in some time I wanted to be a dancer .But to think it all the only think Ive done for many years is work on the computer with photoshop,sony vegas,after effects,audition etc. and make houses in SIMS 3 xD. So now my options are design or umm I dont know the word in english but in dubbing world we know it as Mixer ~ I want to work in a music studio with all those effects and putting great vocals and sounds together or make houses or clothers or even websites.I like things that let me some freedom but still have to stick to rules ( that will help me get better at creating a specific thing and not just go with what comes at the moment).So yeah.. my thought is that you should find something that you have enjoyed for many years and that you are good at  and study it. If not in collage then find a work and go from 1 level to the last one ^^ Because what you want to do in the future wont just pop up in your head.Its probably already there but you have to open up for it .GOOD LUCK WITH FINDING WHAT YOU WANT TO DO ^^b

Beckie

• HUR
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
@Raina Yeah same!! XDD Yeaaah Sims 3!! 8D hahah if only that was a career. Well i think i've heard your mixing, you own kpoparadice right? It's excellent :DD I think it's called record producer or something, i'm not even sure and english is my first language X_X;; LOL

Yeah i know exactly how you feel about the rules thing, i don't want to be stuck in a job where you can't have any creativity but need some guidelines x) Thank you for the advice <3 I know that singing is the thing i enjoy the absolute most, but that is one of the hardest to have a good career in i swear!  I would be more than fine singing in collabs for a job.. omg i'm so sad haha xD  i think i'll try and study something academic that i enjoy, and have a shot at being a musician.. otherwise i'll just regret it i think!~ thanks (*^3^)/~?

Raina

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 01:01:31 PM »
@Beckie SIMS 3 RULES ! My mum wants me to eather work for a game creating company or for youtube since she saw videos of youtubes office XD And yeah you know who I am and my group *O* (Happy moment) We are opening a JPOP group to so expect some H!P and other JPOP from us x3 I think that if I get  a chance to dance in some kpop video I will take it xD I am good at dancing even if I am not really fit =.= ( well I am more 'moveble' then skinny girls - at least I can teach the ground with hands with straight legs without struggling - most of the girls in my class are like 'uh oh uhhhhhhh it hurts cant do.o.o.o ...it UHH' XD ).You good at math ?! Me too .. well kinda .. I know how to do it and its pretty easy but I am one of those people that panic a lot on exams and my mind goes white so my math marks are not so good x( even if I know how to do it I get paniced when I get some weird number like 13532,5823 on 2/234 @.@ PANIC -- CANT THINK - BRAIN DIES. My mum was going to be a math teacher but she couldnt pay her last year fees so she couldnt get a degree NOW she helps me x3

stardusties

• Boys & Girls
  • Ruby =^___^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 10:17:37 AM »
Oooomg I totally understand where you guys are coming from.

I took the lame, safe way out and did engineering because I'm good at math and im almost done with payig of my loans. My dreams are to either do linguistic research on language acquisition....or create a music label in te Philippines :>....for that I'd need to learn business and have money and prolly have to be good at arranging ugh>_>;

The nice thing about getting a degree in a secure job market that makes decent money is that you can always, with effort, change your career paths With minimal debt and achieve the things you want to do.  Which is what I hope to do. I know lotsa people who have either completely changed their career paths or still keep up their job but their hobbies take up more of their life.

Dot give up ^.^
Quote from: Liana
Obviously my main dream is to smell SNSD.

~Groups~
Trike's Angels
Snowy Whispers
??????

~Ppl I owe Lines~
MegumiNakazawa -HS Weddinguu~, Heya to T shirts , Arigz otomodachi
trike. ugh. -dies-
Rin - SW single #2

Enterprise © Bloc