Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Peep the Yo!Pro Tumblr and check out some good music you might've missed!

Author Topic: SHE'S CRAFTY!  (Read 6708 times)

Sarah

• I was "Sera". Now I'm "Sarah". Yes.
    • MSN Messenger - saraht0ga@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - saraht0ga
    • View Profile
    • My YT channel
    • Email
Re: SHE'S CRAFTY!
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 01:47:06 PM »
Just bought a LOT of yarn to start my Tom Baker scarf!!!!
OMG I WILL KNIT WITH YOU.

I started mine the other day (barely). I'm making it a bit skinnier though and knitting it in the round because I'm OCD and hate having the color change show on one side with the garter stitch x'''D It'll probably end up being half the width but HOPEFULLY ALL THE LENGTH. YEAH. GANBATTE SERENYTY

ALSO: Gyp, all your jewelry is so pretty!

Serenyty

• I spend far too much time knitting for my own good
    • AOL Instant Messenger - writerserenyty
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 10:11:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm a bit worried about my width because it seems REALLY wide (I'm following a specific pattern) but I've been watching some Tom Baker stuff and I've noticed he usually has it folded over? so I'm OK, I think.

But yay, knitting it together! Good luck on yours!

Gyp, I love all your jewelery! I'm sure your mom will LOVE that necklace!
\?????/            L????? Gucha~~

Sig by Gyp, Avatar.. from Livejournal, thanks whoever made it!

kibats

• Adam West's Petting Zoo
  • Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 12:15:11 PM »

Hex-nut braided bracelet, a la HonestlyWTF/Diy!

I think it's like $3 in nuts, on this one, and like 20 cents in kitchen twine. I think more nicely finished hex nuts would be a bit more, at least I KNOW silver is like 2.5 more. You can't see so well, these aren't shiny golden brass,  they've got that oxidized (?) pink/green opalescent sheen from cutting. But they look pretty cool anyway. About 14 cents per. I got about $15 in supplies to play with, but I think it looks ok with just this many for one.

It's SO EASY, in theory, but I had the worst time at first XD Just be sure to hold the nuts VERY tight (haha) up against the braid, and continue pinching the nut against the top after you cross one over, before you fiip another. Keep pulling the strands down taut. Be sure to be EXTRA tight in your braid as you're entering/leaving your threading sections, or else the nuts will flip around and some of the twists can even come undone and then it's a mess. It's not hard, but it does take a bit of time...and some hand cramping!

I'd like to have it looooonnnnnger, and thicker twine like she did in the tutorial, but for a first try it's fun. I think the twine/brassy hardware can be worn up with gold bangles for an urban look, as opposed to bead/hemp braids which look a little more hippy/beachy. This is just knotted off, I looped it around my wrist, and twisted the knots in. I'm probably gonna do a bunch with some colored twine added in, and toss them on Etsy.
LINES I need:
Joel: NYN, Farrah: MUYM
Lines I owe: YOMUSU (I forgot! Not forever!)

Gypmama

• Jew-bulation
  • Yomusu
  • ~I'm a posse magnet~
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LdyAozora
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - GypMama
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 03:15:33 PM »
That is really funky, Kristi! How heavy is it on your wrist?
If you added more wire bits and dangled some watch parts, I bet the steampunk community would eat it up. ;)

PUNS ARE AWESOME.
Recording:
Recorded and need to send:
Any re-do needed from sent files, please alert me.
Need any embarrassing weird shouts, whoops, and other bizarre background noises for a recording? ASK ME!

kibats

• Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 03:28:17 PM »
Thanks! You know, Tim Holtz (scrapbook guy) has some elements a la steampunk...maybe those can be used in jewelry. It's just watch parts are so expensive! At least where I've looked, and thrift places usually have electric watches here.

It's not very heavy at all, like a clunky resin bangle. If you can only handle delicate chains, you may not like it. It's about the weight of my metal watch. I'm having trouble getting it to wrap without showing the knot on the side though, they said start after an inch of braid and I gave it two. May need a whole 3 or so, so you can tuck the top under.
LINES I need:

kibats

• Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 09:36:46 AM »
I've made a bunch of jewelry lately, more for practice/me than to sell. But I've yet to take photos.

I WANT TO PIMP A STORE.

COMIC SALVAGE on Etsy

Note: Took the image from her Etsy, have no camera batteries at the mo, but it's the product I actually bought.

I'm amazed. Beyond friendly seller. Super fast response. Rec'd item within the 4th day, including purchase day. Which is insanity. I ordered POW earrings - which are as nicely done as any paper backed/sealed earring could be. When I got the package, I screamed. It was a giftwrapped box, wrapped in Sunday funnies and tied with a ribbon and business card. Inside the box was a tissue paper sleeve, with her sticker logo on it. Inside, the earrings were hung on punched cardstock with a comic panel glued to it.

So. Excellent product, amazing service, above the bar packaging, and an absolutely amazing branding example for a craft business.

PLUS. It's COMIC BOOKS. IN JEWELRY. And I've never seen it done QUITE so classily. The vintage panels look amazing with antique and uber-elegant findings. This is how it's done, people!
LINES I need:

Serenyty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2011, 09:35:38 PM »
over halfway done with the Tom Baker scarf!!!

It's not the only project I've been working on since I bought the yarn (not by a long shot) but damn this is a big project!

Also, I want to make this SO bad it's not even funny:

It will cost me around $130 for yarn alone, though, so I'll have to wait.

Gypmama

• Jew-bulation
  • Yomusu
  • ~I'm a posse magnet~
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 06:28:02 AM »
If that is half the scarf, I will assume you are not making it true to size.  ;)
Still, I can't wait to see the finished product!

PUNS ARE AWESOME.
Recording:
Need any embarrassing weird shouts, whoops, and other bizarre background noises for a recording? ASK ME!

Serenyty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2011, 07:23:02 AM »
It might be close to true to size, because while that's half of it it's not blocked yet, which should end up stretching it out some.

kibats

• Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2011, 11:26:33 PM »
KE KE KE KE KE

Low res phone preview of a portion of what will be up in my Etsy shop within a week or so.

The humor one and the Adventure one got a bit stained, but I saved Rogue with a crystal and the Kitty one will just. Be. That way. I guess a portion of the metal wasn't treated right or something. W/e.

Anyway, it's scrapbook paper and crystals and comic book characters/words from different books. Collage-d together, with a nice irridescent glitter in a few and then dimensionalized. Almost like resin. Only not. These I believe are all keitai straps, except the Faith one which went on a silver chain necklace.

Hope to keep cranking these out. Had a few I LOVED, but had to scrap because I didn't have the process down right. I have a gorgeous Rogue/Gambit set I hope to save and then turn into earrings. And maybe keep. I have a tiny Angel one too which is so cute, I need to figure out how to clean up the back or find another version of that tiny ad. And a big comic Spike that says Vamp Powers is resined...to my desk. Because I rock. And I kept buying 50 cent comics to cut up and use, thinking a decent profit. Except I picked a bunch of Batman ones. Which. I may just. Keep. Because I am bad at business.

Can't get over how pretty some awful comics are. I just love coloring. Especially Spiderman loves Mary Jane. Do I CARE about high school crushes on superheroes? Maybe. Mostly, I'm just going to cut out pages of panels and glue them to a board and hang it up because Strain makes her SO PRETTTYYYYY.
LINES I need:

Serenyty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2011, 11:52:27 PM »
Those are great! Link to your etsy shop when you're done putting those up; they are cute.

I love the art in Spiderman Loves Mary Jane too; sometimes the plot's.... yeah, but it's such a cute comic, especially visually. And I'm kind of a sucker for shoujo looks/plots. But I can't wait to see what you do with that!

Gypmama

• Jew-bulation
  • Yomusu
  • ~I'm a posse magnet~
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 05:57:29 AM »
I like those a lot, Kristi! :)
Can I plug your etsy on Twitter and Facebook when you get it up and running?

I wonder if you could print out scans from manga, color them, and then give them the resin treatment because that might be lucrative too, covering the anime/manga fans out there who might be looking for unique merch for their fandom.

PUNS ARE AWESOME.
Recording:

kibats

• Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 09:56:49 AM »
Ser: I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT to do with it. I might make it wallpaper. And never leave my pink and peach room. Actually, I found a Teen Titans Year 1 with Rausch on colors and the palette is pretty similar. Stronger cartoon style shading, less watercolor, but still really pretty *_* SUNSETS.

Gyp: Absolument! Plug anywhere, I love it! And that's a cute idea to try! I was a bit worried about using comics even though, as other artwork, but I feel like this falls under the realm of up-cycle enough to be a non issue. Maybe I'll do some of my own stuff eventually, and try it that way. Even little senshi sign vectors or faces could be intriguing to some...hmn!

I hope to get and try doming resin sometime, but this has a similar result and is cheaper to start with from the making side...and probably the selling side as well, depending on how the product hunt goes. I have about 11 more pieces hardening, and about 7 to scrap and refill, so. It's coming along.

LINES I need:

kibats

• Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2011, 08:47:10 AM »
Double post but w/ more stuff.

The fleur necklace I had made for myself a month or two ago, after my boss did one like it, but I like another one I did better. It's too far away to find for a picture. Lazy. The cig is Spike's from Buffy, I've offered it to a friend of mine. It has a plastic cord glued into antiqued gold findings, with an extender so it can go to about 22". The batgirl one I love, and will probably do the same format on other super symbols. I like that bezel, and thick chain. I wanted to show Faith, it's so DAINTY, but I need to set up a little photo "studio" area with lamps for good pictures - light here is messy. These are just webcam.

I loooove the AMAZING keitai strap, it's Rogue and Kitty. With a jewel, and a hanging star with a jewel. Then there's puppet angel and a bead. Boooo-oooop.

I have even more to do still, after ripping off pieces that didn't meet standards. And then a wonder woman larrrge bezel for a necklace that should be pretty boss. Probably should have tried to get this up off the ground before I started school again and had rehearsal every night. Need a nap. Shaking hands make jump rings difficult!

Edit: Ok, more.

My faves <3 Rogue and Gambit from the same panel. The backs are all messed up, these are one of the first ones I did. I was thinking earrings. So comic geeky. But they're all green and ethereal. And. I'll wear them in my house. Since the quality isn't sellable, due to rough backs. And. I love it.

Wonder woman bezel. Need to get more thick chain, I think. Weird to have her in silver instead of gold but. It's striking.

Circles usually come out rough. Batgirl needs some smoothing. The play is from a voodoo comic. I likey. And hulking 80's Captain America makes me happy.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:59:04 AM by kibats »
LINES I need:

AeonisPi

• <_<;;
    • MSN Messenger - lamoona5@sailormoon.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2011, 11:42:01 AM »
Well I've been stalking this thread in fascination.  I woulda never though of old comic books.  That's a wonderful idea!  I definitely would like to try some time. Do you use epoxy resin for all these?

Either way, I see some fun projects coming up for me.  I have some polyester resin I need to get rid of.  And some molds to play with <3
<(^_^<)........<(^_^)>?......(>^_^)>

Enterprise © Bloc