Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Vote for the July Yoricon today!

Author Topic: Favorite artists? (MAY be NSFW for gratuitous art. Also, boobies.)  (Read 1966 times)

kibats

• Adam West's Petting Zoo
  • Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
Go traditional, go digital, whatever! Who inspires you, what stopped you and made you look twice today? Or who is your all time favorite?

1. Please keep thumbnails appropriately sized
2. Don't include overtly risque or gorey thumbs in post
3. Note any NSFW links for a gallery/piece - but it's best to assume most galleries will have mild nudity.
4. SHARE, SHARE, SHARE!

(Mods: Added disclaimer, simply because where art there = boobies. But if that's an unacceptable title, please fix. Nudity is more mature, but seemed a foreshadowing of in post harder thumbnails xD)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 02:42:14 AM by Kristi »
LINES I need:
Joel: NYN, Farrah: MUYM
Lines I owe: YOMUSU (I forgot! Not forever!)

kibats

• Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite artists? (MAY be NSFW for gratuitous art. Also, boobies.)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 02:41:28 AM »
I tend to like traditional pieces of women with vivid washes of color, good strong black details, and a slight mix of innocence and darker elements.

One of my all time favorites would of course be Yoshitaka Amano. His character designs are so stunning, and he uses color and patterns to an insane degree. This is probably my favorite non-FF piece, it's so stunning and soft.

A new favorite, whose pricey prints I covet, would be Audrey Kawasaki. She paints on wood, and creates absolutely STUNNING pieces. And her prints are always sold out. Check out her gallery HERE, note: mild nudity.

A brand-new discovery would be Micheal Shapcott - his use of washes of color and slight grunginess to his application, combined with brilliant shades and great shading cause some very dynamic looks. A few of his pieces look a bit off in facial proportion, but maybe I'm super-sensitive to that because it's one of my greatest problems. But for the most part, his pieces are pretty incredible. You can also watch him paint, which I love in artists who use washes...his style gets some really organic texture. And he's kind of a looker.
LINES I need:

BakaPai

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 04:47:43 AM »

A new favorite, whose pricey prints I covet, would be Audrey Kawasaki. She paints on wood, and creates absolutely STUNNING pieces. And her prints are always sold out. Check out her gallery HERE, note: mild nudity.

GORGEOUS
always thirsty for subscribers ngl.
? Why don't you head on over to my channel

Gypmama

• Jew-bulation
  • Yomusu
  • ~I'm a posse magnet~
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LdyAozora
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - GypMama
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 06:53:04 AM »
How can I list them all?

Ummm...
Let's start with just a basic, all around favorite: Alphonse Mucha.
The guy is the well-known artist in the realm of Art Nouveau. See a pretty lady on a poster with muted earthtones, swirly flowers, and draping clothes? Most likely his work.

No thumbnails. Just links here (element of surprise? Nah, I am just lazy! LOL)

http://www.prague.net/gallery/a-mucha-seasons/images/winter.jpg
http://www.johncoulthart.com/feuilleton/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/mucha1.jpg
(he does jewelry design too! I WANT THIS PIECE! ->) http://www.goodart.org/amfusch.
Arrrgh! Too much pretty stuff to post! Just Google him! Trust me. ;)

Another basic: Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
He's done painting, architecture, textile design, furniture design... all-around awesome stuff.
It is the Art and Craft style which is inspired by nature much like Art Nouveau is but Mackintosh's work always seems more calculated and stylized than the natural forms of Art Nouveau. It is like, to me, he is the next step in art evolution before Art Deco comes in.
Cool bookcase: http://www.huntsearch.gla.ac.uk/artimages/41208.jpg
Pretty chair: http://www.huntsearch.gla.ac.uk/artimages/41213.jpg
A panel: http://www.huntsearch.gla.ac.uk/artimages/41259.jpg
A menu cover: http://www.huntsearch.gla.ac.uk/artimages/crm/41526.jpg
If you Google him too, you will find a lot more stuff to look at.

PUNS ARE AWESOME.
Recording:
Recorded and need to send:
Any re-do needed from sent files, please alert me.
Need any embarrassing weird shouts, whoops, and other bizarre background noises for a recording? ASK ME!

kibats

• Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »

Chris Whetzel.
If you need a good example of a dynamic illustrator who USES illustrator, check him out. The guy did an interview for me for class, he's a total class act and has a really clean and strong visual style. And he's making a living on freelancing w/ steady work, which is inspiring.

Chris Lensch, somebody else I stumbled accross. Great soft style with a real nostalgic edge and great darker elements. Check that batgirl! Can't stand it. Too cute. Go back a page in his blog, check those sculptures - AND he shows his process! Invaluable for clueless people like me who just slap things together. Sometimes it helps to see what other people have figured out, when you're sick of making 9 billion mistakes in prep-work.
LINES I need:

kibats

• Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 07:08:41 AM »

Kris Lewis, stunning oils. Vivd expressions, bright figures on somber backgrounds with tatoo influences...or flowers everywhere with pretty girls. Just. Insanely stunning. Check out Rose, the thumbnail. Beyond stunning. I would love to have a print of her work. Look at the BOY ON THE SHIP hasjkhdka. It's a great cross between modern subjects and classical settings at times, too...I like juxtaposition!

DOC HAMMER, who happens to be one of THE Venture Brothers. As in, one of the two creators. These are older, but check the skin-tone rendering and use of subtle light. Also, how he likes angry looking women. The noses and expressions in the eyes are just flawless. I can't stand it. He also plays with texture, strokes and tone and talks about it like a true tormented artist which is. Kind of funny with his super cool emo hair. Can't get over how gorgeous these oils are.
LINES I need:

kibats

• Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 09:54:49 AM »

James Hance
Nostalgic icons, great color use, parodies...and AFFORDABLE PRINTS. I'm getting "The Dark Starry Knight", above, print as a Christmas gift in the mail XD Store is pretty reliable too, in that Mom's order did not come in time for Christmas - and they completely reimbursed and immediately went to rectify the situation. She's not as happy with her choice, some distortion I guess due to size vs. DPI, but supposedly mine is gorgeous. I love the Storm Trooper series, too.
LINES I need:

kibats

• Yomusu
  • = (k)night
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 09:41:20 PM »
GYP!

Disney a la nouveau XD It's a French page, believe the artists are Enrique Pita and ED Irizarry...I feel like these could be expanded on much more, but it's a pretty idea. Bit overused probably, but I dig characters in classic adaptations. Obviously ::) *looks up*
LINES I need:

Enterprise © Bloc