Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Peep the Yo!Pro Tumblr and check out some good music you might've missed!

Author Topic: The I Hate Mixing Thread!  (Read 27067 times)

Liana

• Wheelie Bin
  • Like Captain Picard I'm chillin' and flossin'
    • View Profile
The I Hate Mixing Thread!
« on: August 25, 2009, 04:22:35 PM »
This was originally going to be the "Fuck Mixing In The Asshole" thread but I thought maybe that wouldn't be the best thing to be on top of the forum every day.

I knwo when I'm mixing I'm bitching about it to whoever is unlikey to have an MSN window open with me at the moment. So why not make a thread about it?

So FUCK CHOKOTTO LOVE. Something about this version is just NOT coming together and not only THAT it's chorus is based on really high jumps which makes HUGE volume boost which means I have to take down each high note in the chorus by -2 db and I'm doing this with the group, not individually, but it's still fucking annoying and. AND. I have to do this with the harmony file too because I can't just be lazy and use the vocal rip, OH NO.

Fuck mixing in the asshole.

Molly? ?

• Girl Club
  • I'm innocent and cute, fuck you!
    • View Profile
    • :]
Re: The I Hate Mixing Thread!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 04:30:27 PM »
Hmm. This sounds a lot like what I do to you everytime I have to mix something :]

Liana

• Wheelie Bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 04:32:25 PM »
IT'S CALLED CRESCENDO OKAY. LOOK IT UP.

EDIT: Also Gidget, Ange, and Jessica are never allowed to sing together again. EVER.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:38:16 PM by Liana »

Windy

• x<3x<3
  • or Windy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:16:09 PM »
IT'S BECAUSE YOU KEEP MIXING MY SOLOS OUT OF TIME OKAY.

*sobs in corner*
I Owe:
Katsunda, Yomusu stuff

Mixing:
Stale bread

Icon by Gyp!

Quote from: Liana

WINDY I WILL PUNCH YOU

Liana

• Wheelie Bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »
WHAT. I do not! Wait your solo IS the one really off time thing in Chokotto. Are you stalking my folders again? GOD DAMMIT J- GOD DAMN YOU MORE AND YOUR SECRECY ABOUT YOUR NAME.

Windy

• x<3x<3
  • or Windy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 07:25:38 PM »
...What. :D

I'm sorry I was looking for that mp3 I needed. XDD
I Owe:
Katsunda, Yomusu stuff

Mixing:
Stale bread

Icon by Gyp!

Quote from: Liana

WINDY I WILL PUNCH YOU

Ciel

• View Profile
    • fantomuhaivu @ youtube
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 04:58:35 AM »
I ALWAYS BITCH WHEN I MIX.

And then one time I pissed someone off about it who got all butthurt and was all "WE TRIED REALLY HARD WITH OUR SINGING SO SORRY WE SUCK".

UH WTF.

I'm just ranting. I wouldn't mix if I didn't love it secretly and if I wasn't a masochist.

BUT ANYWAY.

THANK FUCKING GOD KOI YAKE IS DONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

My god everyone (including me) was so pitchy. But there was this one chick that was like way out. BUT PROBLEM - everyone knows she's always off key.

So I can't pull the auto-tune/pitch adjustment shit out of my ass on her, because then it'd be unnaturally in tune.

FUCK THIS SHIT.

It's over.

~_~

Renna

• Meow!~ Bunny Mixes for your Needs ;D
    • MSN Messenger - shikyo@msn.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 07:10:34 AM »
LOL! You guys XD

I find that if you mix something for a really long time, you need good singers. Not for the outcome, not for the lesser work, but the motivation. If you finish one track and you think, "hey, this is pretty good," you'll feel motivated to do the next one (of 45 in my case).
Meow Meow~

Othello

• Girl Club
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 08:05:01 AM »
I agree with Renna ..
I ws going to mix a song for this group once, and everyone was off in all possible ways, and nobody had a decent mic, so I was like "fuck this" and asked someone else to mix it.

It was so boring : (

jko

• Yomusu
  • Eschew obfuscation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 08:17:30 AM »
I once had someone record so hilariously off-rhythm that I had to time out all her syllables individually. And then, for the sake of not wanting to cause a fuss or embarrass anyone, I never got to bitch about how a fairly simple karaoke was this MASSIVE HAIR-PULLING STRESSFEST. XD Response was tepid, and I was left going "*SPUTTER* BUT...!"

Sigh.

mski

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 10:27:57 AM »
the miracle solution to eneven volume levels is dynamics processing! *__*b i use it in all of my mixes xD;;

does anyone know how to make hard consonants sound good? because while mixing they really hurt my ears and while all right backed with the music, it's still noticeable and anger causing.

Gino

• Radio Team
  • Rianasu's Fan Service King
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 01:35:56 PM »
I really need like a basics to mixing tutorial. I suck so much at making everything sound as one voice, changing syllables, and cutting off extended notes. x.x
Ok so, It's Gino: My Vlogs and Other Random Crap

The boy formerly known as Koolmon.
Formerly known as Rianasu's Washed Up Maknae.

Gigi

• It's just like...WHOA.
    • MSN Messenger - ayamii@live.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 02:48:28 PM »
I love mixing~.  I'm planning on majoring in audio engineering.  :D

jko

• Yomusu
  • Eschew obfuscation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 03:35:51 PM »
the miracle solution to eneven volume levels is dynamics processing! *__*b i use it in all of my mixes xD;;

does anyone know how to make hard consonants sound good? because while mixing they really hurt my ears and while all right backed with the music, it's still noticeable and anger causing.
Depends on which consonant it is and whether or not it's a solo. xD

I just had to deal with this last night, actually! In the case of a hard T or S (that's all I've needed to fix since I decided it was something I was going to start fixing. XD), pair it with someone singing that line with a soft consonant, even if you have to sing it yourself for comparison. Then zoom in REALLY CLOSELY (I mean like as close as zoom's prepared to zoom) and you'll notice the tiniest discrepancy between the two -- usually, the hard consonant starts before the soft one does. Then it's just a matter of (GENTLY -- I use volume envelopes for seamless transition, but if you don't envelope it at least make sure there's some crossfade so it doesn't sound jumpy) deleting the extra bit at the beginning -- you lose most of the consonant sound, but you get the vowel, and in a duet or group the vowel part is really all you need as long as someone else is handling the consonant.

I don't know if it's a hard and fast rule, since it's something I just tried out yesterday and enjoyed, but you could run it up the flagpole and see who salutes? XD

Dani

• Girl Club
  • ??*? ???
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 05:24:37 PM »
I once had someone record so hilariously off-rhythm that I had to time out all her syllables individually. And then, for the sake of not wanting to cause a fuss or embarrass anyone, I never got to bitch about how a fairly simple karaoke was this MASSIVE HAIR-PULLING STRESSFEST. XD Response was tepid, and I was left going "*SPUTTER* BUT...!"

Sigh.

This happens to me.  All. the. time.  I've had to mix this one girl who obviously doesn't know anything about rhythm, and I cut each syllable and place them individually, and then everyone says "the mixing needs work."  NO, PEOPLE JUST NEED TO COOPERATE WITH ME >=(

Other than that, though, I love mixing.  I remember the first time I "mixed" something, I just randomly downloaded someones lines for a groupdub I was in and mixed them with my lines, and I was like "OMG THIS IS SO COOL I WANT TO DO IT MORE!"  When I get some really nice files, I want to go the extra mile and add nice effects and make it sound really professional.  But then when I get shitty files, I just throw them on top of a instru and I'm done with it.  I'm a terrible person =(
avi by gypmama

Enterprise © Bloc